State of the Blog:

The next bazillion entries will be devoted to books that I read a long, long time ago, but am just now getting posted. In case you were wondering.... Also - I am testing something on my blog that will eventually be implemented at the West Lafayette Public Library. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the Meebo Widget - it's a text messaging service!

Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns


I can't say enough about this book. It's been a long time since I've read such an emotionally involved novel. The story is about two Afghan women, two decades apart in age, whose lives tragivally intertwine in the least desirable of situations. Mariam, the older of the two, has had a hard life and is married to an abusive husband. Laila, the younger woman, grew up with a father dedicated to education and the rights of women. After the Taliban came to Afghanistan, Laila's life was completely uprooted, leading her into the life of Mariam. In the end, the two women bring more to each other than either thought possible. This is a haunting novel of the ravages of war and the plight of the Afghan, male and female alike. One can't help but be moved by this novel. I must admit; it was painful for me to read this book at many points. But at the end, it was worth it. Hosseini is a brillant writer and I guarantee that if nothing else, you will be a more compassionate person for having read it. Click this link to buy a copy: A Thousand Splendid Suns

No comments: